Okatie Trip Last Weekend

Last week I posted on the inshore discussion board that we were going last weekend rain or shine. It turned out to be a great trip. We had a place on Chechessee Creek in Okatie that worked out really well. Had the boat tied up to the dock Thursday night and fished Friday through Monday.

I was by myself on Friday while my brother traveled from WA to Savannah. All the concerns about the weather were unnecessary except for Monday. We saw a few storms in the distance and dodged one but stayed dry and warm until we got dumped on Monday morning.

Friday I managed only one trout about 15 inches early in the morning on a Mirrorlure Heavy-dine twitch bait (18MR-21 color pattern - https://www.shopmirrolure.com/heavy-dine/heavy-dine-18mr-21-sinking-twitchbait/18mr-21-p-231.html ) I also spent a lot of time scouting at low tide. I saw lots of finger mullet schools and threw the net at them but only came up with one. I did catch a spot in the cast net and thought it would be good fresh mud minnow trap bait. That turned out wrong. It seems that mud minnows don’t care for spot and we didn’t catch a single one while using it. When we changed over to cut mullet we loaded up on them in one of the same areas that they refused the spot. Go figure.

Saturday we started out fishing the end of the incoming tide and went to a couple creek mouths where I had previous success with trout. We caught several that were 14 to 16 inches and turned them lose to grow up figuring we’d catch plenty more to keep a couple for dinner. We didn’t. After a break for lunch we continued several spots with little to no fish until it was time to head to a redfish spot that is good for the last couple hours of dropping tide. We did great there. My brother caught 3 slot reds and we both missed a few more and had a couple break-offs on the structure. 2 of those came home as dinner guests.

One of the 3 redfish my brother caught Saturday.

We got