Capers Island

I have a question about Capers Island. just before the ocean in capers inlet there is a creek going into capers island on the south side of capers island. I wonder does it stay wet during low tide and how navigable is it in general. I am considering leaving my boat there for a while and fishing the bone yard but I don’t know anything about that creek or the possibility of leaving my jon boat in while I fish the beach.

It’s been a few years since I’ve been there. The creek that I think you’re asking about eventually goes up to the output of the impoundment through the levee. It seems that I remember a spot before you get to the levee where you could park a boat but I wouldn’t take my word for it.

I suggest looking at google earth using the =>view=>historical imagery menu option and finding a satellite pic at low tide.

This one is from 3/2013 and appears to be at a low tide. You can see water all the way to the impoundment drain. I put a red arrow near where I think you could get a jon boat into. I remember seeing kayaks there once.

1 Like

It’s been 2 or 3 years since I’ve been there, but it got shallow enough we had to wait to get back out in my flats boat that drafts ~10", which was fine because we caught plenty of fish while we waited. Give it a try, maybe you’ll rip a few lips too!

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

1 Like