Propeller/Outboard Questions

I recently bought little 15’ center console with a 50 Yamaha 4 stroke. The boat’s max horsepower rating is 60. The motor is low hours and runs great. I notice that it’s kind of slow coming out of the hole and takes a while to get up on plane with 3 people or just me. I weigh about 225. It runs about 25 mph with me, and 21 with me and 2 passengers. It has a set of those hydrofoil things on the motor, which is supposed to help with that I thought. It has a stock aluminum prop on it that’s dinged up a bit.
Would a new SS make a significant difference? Any ideas and ■■■■■■■■ are much appreciated.
Thanks!

You will need the current numbers off the prop…ie. pitch and size.

Rpms at WOT(wide open throttle)

Then peeps will have input.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Thanks Mdaddy. The current prop is an aluminum 10.25 x 14RH. At wide open throttle it’s at about 5,000 RPM’s.

Jack Taylor

I’m assuming it is a F50 and not a T(high thrust) and the bottom is clean. Sounds like you could get some more rpms out the motor.
A stainless prop costs more. You could go to a prop shop or DYI. I’d try a 4 blade aluminum if you want to get on plane faster. The more pitch you run the faster you go but slower plane. Comes down to diameter you can run and what the rpms end up at.
I’m sure others have ideas but finding the right prop for a boat is trial and error.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Thanks for the info. It’s an F50. I’ve had several boats over the years, but never had this particular issue before. I remember getting a prop from Skip’s Prop shop up on Cross County rd. If he’s still there, I’m going to check with him.
Thanks again!

Jack Taylor

Good choice. Motor height figures in as well and the peeps that talk props …talk good things about Skips…but his name isn’t Skip. Do not take any advice from Pea Pad.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

prop pitch is to high. you need a lower pitch… most likely a 13 pitch will get you where you need to be.
you want to see 6000 rpms with just you in the boat

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Thanks for all the good information gentlemen. I appreciate it!

Jack Taylor