Boat Flooring

Hey group. Do anyone know somebody that repairs boat floors? I have 2 or 3 soft spots on my center console floor that needs to be fixed. I definitely ain’t trying to fall thru the floor one day. That definitely would suck…

GONE ; I REALLY HATE TO HEAR THIS NOT WANTING TO DISCOURAGE YOU ANY BUT REPAIRING SOFT FLOORS IN FIBERGLAS ,AND I ASSUME WE ARE TALKING FIBERGLAS IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART… BE AWARE THAT IF YOU HAVE SOFT SPOTS THERE HAS BEEN WATER PENERTRATION FOR A MIGHTY LONG TIME AND EXTENSIVE DAMAGES ARE MOST LIKELY NOT YET EVIDENT, IE, FLOOR STRINGERS ROTTED , SATURATED FOAM THROUGH OUT ENTIRE BOTTOM AND IN A LOT OF CASES THE WATER / ROT WILL HAVE MOST LIKELY HAVE AFFECTED THE TRANSOM REQUIRING IT ALSO TO BE REPLACED… WHAT I’M SAYING IS , MORE OFTEN THAN NOT YOU MAY OPEN UP A CAN OF WORMS FAR BEYOUND YOUR IMAGINATION… HAVE IT LOOKED AT BY A REPUTABLE REPAIR FACILITY THAT YOU CAN TRUST TO GIVE AN HONEST ESTIMATE … IT MAY BE MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO REPLACE INSTEAD OF REPAIR… I DON’T KNOW YOUR ABILITIES TO DIY BUT IT AIN’T A JOB FOR NOVICES… GOOD LUCK HOWEVER YOU GO:smiley::smiley::smiley:

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Yeah Gail that’s what i really meant. Yeah i definitely wanna replace the whole floor. I recognize yesterday the had got worse. Hate to be on my center console fishing one day and go thru the floor… Don’t know anybody up here in the upstate…

I had a similar problem a few years ago, a silver dollar sized spot that had gotten soft. It was a void that had eventually worn through. I used a Dremel tool and ground out the soft part until I came to solid/firm decking. I had plans to but what I needed to repair it but Cracker Larry who is no longer with use offered to repair it. If you only have a couple of spots, you might try “exploring” one of the spots to see how far it goes. If the spots are not too big, you could try repairing them your self. At this point, it seems it would be better than doing nothing. Bear in mind, the floor in my boat is that “splattered” look so it didn’t have to be pretty like finished fiberglass.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Yeah DFreedom my spots are about 5-10" in diameter. Also yeah its a all white flooring… I know it has to be a few companies in Charleston area that replair boat flooring…

There used to be an older gentleman here in Columbia that made fiberglass jonboats and did fiberglass repairs. I’ll see if he is still around and if he is, I’ll send you his contact info. Mind you, he was old when I last saw him so…………………

Ok thanks DFreedom

Yeah, you don’t want to go through the floor.

Many years ago, watched a guy jump from a sea wall down about 6’ feet into the back deck of a cuddy cabin hull. One foot punched through the floor into the bilge and the other ankle rolled over and sprained. When the foot punched through the floor, it pushed the edges of the fiberglass panel in behind the foot and trapped it with glass stuck in his calf/shin. No way to pull it out without really tearing up his leg/foot. We scrambled for tools and had to cut the floor out of the boat to free him. Ended up, he was OK with minor injuries. But, he was VERY uncomfortable while we were ripping up the floor of his boat. Didn’t want to cut up more than needed. But, the closer we got to his leg, the more we moved the glass that was stuck in him. Fun times.

--------------------------- 17' Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl 26' Palmer Scott project hull 14' Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

GOOD THING IT HAPPENED AT DOCK INSTEAD OF XXX MILES OFFSHORE :astonished::astonished:

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Dang and i be thinking about one day my floor getting too soft and my leg go thru it andcut my leg all up. Yelp, that’s why i want to try and get it repaired soon before it get worse

Hey Gone. Sorry to tell you but, I went by where the old guy’s shop used to be. It is still there but he is not. It appears to be all closed up and has been for a while. Sorry, I had hoped to have some good news for you. There has to be someone around that can do such repairs.

KC’s in Hollywood. Did a great job putting in a new fuel tank. Had to cut out the floor and replace it. His shop is busy but it’s a testament to the work he does. 843-810-2562

"Ships and Sailors Rot in Port"- Admiral Nelson

Hey Tico. Thanks. I will have to give them a call and see what they can do. I haven’t had no luck trying to find anyone up here in the upstate.

Thanks DFreedom for going to check for me. Appreciate that…

My pleasure, sorry it wasn’t good news.

There’s a guy here between Aiken and Augusta that I have used 3 or 4 times to repair where my hull chipped on the trailer until I got smart enough to add a keel roller to stop it.

He does great work and I think his price is very reasonable.

B&E Fiberglass
5141 Augusta Rd, Beech Island, SC 29842
803-442-3662

I don’t know why the address is Beach Island. He’s much closer to North Augusta.

Thanks FlickerFisher. Will contact them also.