8-7-20 trip to GT

Went down to GT Friday morning but a pop up thunder storm was passing thru so I waited at the ramp for an hour or so to let it pass before putting in. Put in around 9:30 & wanted to head down to the Jetty but I am still working on the 10 hr motor break in so it would have taken too long to get down there. I picked an area not to far South of the ramp & where i was seeing a lot of big fish rolling the top of the water but could not tell what they were, they looked to be 24" plus. I was also seeing a lot of bait fish being spooked as well. Took a while but finally got a bite & it was a catfish. Got 2 more within 30 minutes of that one so I think that is what was rolling the water. As I was coming back toward the boat ramp I think I saw a tarpon come up beside the boat but was not sure. When I got to the ramp I gave the rest of my MM to a guy & his son putting in. We talked a few minutes & he mentioned seeing tarpon the past could days in the bay down toward the Jetty so I guess it was a Tarpon I saw.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

We’ve always done well on the tarpon in August & September. They are there calling my name.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

Never fished for them. What kind of bait, tackle, & technique you use to catch them?

Spinning reals spoiled with50 lb braid. 80 lb fluorocarbon leaders. If they’re not eating.
.I’ll go down to a 40 or 60 lb leader. I prefer live bait.
Poagies, mullet and lady fish. Haven’t had any luck with crabs. 1 freelined 1 on a float and 1 on the bottom. Some folks like cut bait. but I’ve never had much luck with it.

Thanks for the help.
What kind of structure to look for or do you just site fish for them?

I have not come across them rolling but a couple times.
I usually put the anchor out with a buoy so I can toss it.or spotlock.
My favorite spots are on the outside of the jetties. About 100 yards off the beach on the south jetty. Outgoing tide.
And about Midway on the North jetty. There’s an outcrop of rocks and the water shallows up to about 10 or 12 ft. no particular tide.When I first heard you can catch tarpon pretty consistently . Maybe 5- 6 years ago. I went and got a hotspot map/chart. Both of them spots are on there. They have commonly known spots. But they’re always a good starting point.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help guys. Might have to give them a try if i can get back to GT in next month or so.