Triple tail???

All right who’s the triple tail guru on here. I see some being caught around Georgetown and Charleston.Every time I fish to the south I look for them. But no luck.I hear they’re pretty tasty.
We’ve cough them in Florida. Did not keep them staying in a motel and all.
Any tips pointers suggestions?
And I’m not proud to point me to a spot.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

Never cought any but always wanted too.
Years back i did watch some fishing shows about them. Guys were casting around floating debris & around bouys and catching them. Can’t remember the bait they used.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

Just received a PM. Much appreciated!! And that’s exactly what was said. Around buoys markers ,debris and crab pots. Shrimp on a popping cork. We caught them in Florida on a popping corks and just shrimp on a hook. Big shrimp you could pitch them a mile. But we were seeing them everywhere. After catching a couple we moved on. wife was on a roll caugh 15 different species that day.
I think in the new DNR books there’s bag limits and size limits now. They’re never used to be. So apparently they’re graining popularity.

Let us know if you give them a shot & how you do.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

We’ve seen them down in the Keys, hanging around under small weed patches or other floating objects. Never been able to get one to bite. Definitely on my list of “fish I’d like to catch” at least once.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

You can spot them just off the beach swimming sometimes. Cruise around slow with a few lures out for Spanish and kmacks or what ever will bite and look for what looks like debris. The little ones usually are yellow brown like sargassum weed and the big ones usually look like a black trash bag. SW winds and small waves make for good water on the beach and that’s usually when you can find them this way. Also the same weather pattern can put them in the inlets. Tiny minnows, live shrimp and little crabs work for baits. I saw a giant earlier this year off the folly beach pier. It was in the 10-30# range, no less then ten maybe 30 or more, biggest ive ever seen.

Hello Off the Chain,
Been catching them for 20yrspluslocally (currently boat largest is 28.12, yes bragging alittle lol). Not a lot of people target them because they are not in big schools normally, pretty isolated fish in smaller groups or by themselves. Very much like bass fishing in freshwater. My go to rigging is 30# fluorocarbon leader about 3-4’ popping cork small splitshot about 12" above the hook (2-3% gamakatsu). Best tide is moving in or out but i like the in-coming due to the cleaner water so I can see them and they spot the bait better. Best bait is large live shrimp or small menhaden. Always throw past the target area and move the rig to position based on winds/current so not to spook, if they are there they will normally bite aggressively. Gently lift rod when the cork goes down to “feel” the fish load before setting the hook, try to move them away from the structure asap just like a sheepshead, great fight and one of the best table fare fish in the ocean! One of my favorite fish to target alot more challenging than snapper, grouper or mahi! Hence my boat name Triple"T" lol:sunglasses:

Kencraft 23T twin 175f Suzuki's

I see they got a new law out,3 per person bag limit and 18in. size limit. Wouldn’t want you to get caught breakin the law.:smiley:

Triple T.
That fish right there would make my day.
I’m guessing you’re fishing out of Charleston?
How late in the year do you find them?
Do you find them in the harbor along the beach back in the creeks?

Off The Chain

That is slightly above avg. size fish of 12-15 pounds. I look for crab pot floats, poles, buoys and floating debris, Also open water areas where they sometimes they have an odd way of fishing by floating on their side when you see one you will think that fish is dead, after looking the fish up on interscope, said they do this to atract bait to the shade then grab it, Cool and smart!!! (first one I spotted like that I got the boat closer to look and he took off! Learning curve LOL) I’ve spotted them form the inlets and bays and Ledge when fishing the grass lines for dolphin. Youtube has some good videos of the area around Savannah GA they target them and very helpful too. I start looking for them around June continue thru September, usually high water temps.

Goodluck!!!:sunglasses:

Kencraft 23T twin 175f Suzuki's