Boat Grease, Trailer vs Motor

Sooo many opinions on this.

Have been using Lucas Red “N” Tacky for wheels. What about using it on the Yammy??? Blew out a bunch of blue grease while prepping my motor for a trip to salt water.

Thanks in advance
NN

I may be corrected her but, I think any good marine grease will work. I used the blue (Lucas I think) on my bearings as well as the grease points on my motor. Never had any problems.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

I PERSONALLY LIKE THE WHITE LITHIUM GREASE FOR MAST ALL POINTS MOTOR AND TRAILER;; HIGHLY RESISTANT TO SALT AND FRESH WATER AFFECTS, NEVER HAD A GREASE FAILURE THAT I COULD POINT TO…

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Thanks for replies.

Main question was if using the Red & Tacky is a bad idea for the motor…

NN

With the boat sitting in the driveway, I’m not sure it matters what grease I use.

Red for high heat in bearings, blue for engine.

That’s what they told me at Charleston Marine few months back, so that’s what I did. Should be fine using red all around though.

Makes sense too, seeing as how back when I used the blue in the hubs, it would get liquefied to the point it would slip out of the bearing buddy rubber cap and sling all over the rim and inside of the fender. Fortunately it didn’t get all over the side of the boat. It has not happened since I went to the red. The good marine hubs come with the Lucas red in them I’m pretty sure. If you had to get a hub in a pinch from Northern Tool or something be sure to push all that petroleum jelly crap out with some good grease or you may have issues there too…ask me how I know…

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

red is suppose to be better for retaining lubrication at higher temps, and blue is suppose to withstand water better.
not sure from a real world application if the difference is anything other than a color difference to get you to buy 2 tubes instead of 1, but we use the 2 different ones as that what is recommended.
we use Yamaha lube on everything Yamaha, and we use red grease for the trailers.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

George, White lithium is old school and I personally hate it for anything but some engine assemblies as it dissolves easily with oil. If left to itself it will dry out and harden.

I totally agree with Chris on using both types, being a dealer and doing what a manufacture recommends…

I would feel confident using pretty much any EP grease with moly or better yet Lucas actually makes a True Marine grease with calcium carbonate. Cat used to sell a marine grease that we have used in long arm track hoes doing submerged diggng… worked great.

I remember this topic coming up a few years ago… Most everybody has their own opinion. :smiley:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT is what I use. Never had a problem.