Trailer Wiring Tips/Tricks

The lights on my trailer just quit on me, and I can see one spot in the wiring that has completely separated from corrosion.

This will be my first time wiring up a saltwater trailer, so are there any tips or tricks y’all would recommend to try and extend the life of the lights/wires/connections as long as possible? Is there a certain brand or style that’s better than another? Etc…

Thanks in advance for the pointers

I have yet to have one that didn’t have an issue. The next time i have to redo one i am going to run my wires thru pvc electrical conduit & seal the ends with plenty of silicone.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

Not a bad idea, but what’s the source of the issue? Is is the connection at the lights themselves when they’re submerged that corrodes? Trying to figure out the major point of weakness

I used some so cord I had laying around the shop,soldered all connections and used plenty of liquid electrical tape.Sealed LED lights are a must and not the cheap ones.

SO cord…you fancy:stuck_out_tongue:

Basically use the correct size (likely reds for #16 wires and smaller) Anchor or 3m brand heat shrink butt splices and the CORRECT CRIMPER. The cheap butt splices from autozone always split on me during heating, even using the correct crimper for insulated butt splices. Good clean ground where the white wire connects to the trailer is a must. Sman is correct on quality sealed LED lights as well. Some people swear by unplugging the trailer lights before launch but I never remember to reconnect them before coming home. Let us know what you end up doing.:+1:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

With the exception of the amber marker lights on the side of the trailer, my lights (brakes, turn signal, etc.) are Pipelights, mounted on guides so they never get submerged. I have not had one issue with my trailer lights in nearly 10 years.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

I’ve had issues with wires rubbing the frame after a while & also connection points. Water always seems to find a way into the wire.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

Lots of good ideas, appreciate the pointers here. I’m gonna go with sealed LED lights and then just have the absolute minimum # of connections under water. Saw one guy coat his butt splices with silicone and then put heat shrink around that, so might try it out

That dang stumpnocker must be made of money with his special crimpers and butt splices.ha You could just rig up a set of lights like the wreckers used to do,take em on and off when you remove the tie down strap .Then nothing would ever touch the water.

Jean yes.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

https://krakenwiring.com/

Raymond Adams

2012 Sportsman Heritage

As said use the sealing heat shrink butt splices and the biggest help i learned is quit with the ground on the trailer. I started running a ground or negative wire to every light all the way from the plug. I have zero issues now with trailer lights.

Sea Hunt 212 Triton "Head East"

Dito the heat shrink on the connections. I also put mine last time above the water off the top of guide on’s. Got the cheap lights with the car style bulbs. LED’s go bad too - seen that. Won’t feel so bad if I have to swap them. I have the trailer grounded but run the ground thru the plug too. Have not had an issue since. Use in fresh and salt water.

J Ford

this made me angry. mdaddy tole me you fish salt like 2x a year. if you don’t mash the pipelights while loading a few times a year, you’re doing it wrong or loading too slow.

Its true, my boat has not been wet with saltwater in a while but, I stand by the pipelights. Where you been, off with Bonzo and Ricky playing with trains?

Site started dying a slow death with the changeover to this interface

Yeah, not sure what is going on. Hoping the usual suspects will hang around and some new blood will join so it doesn’t die completely. I’ve learned a lot from this site and made some great friends.