Trailer Wiring Tips/Tricks

The lights on my trailer just quit on me, and I can see one spot in the wiring that has completely separated from corrosion.

This will be my first time wiring up a saltwater trailer, so are there any tips or tricks y’all would recommend to try and extend the life of the lights/wires/connections as long as possible? Is there a certain brand or style that’s better than another? Etc...

Thanks in advance for the pointers
Replies

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages
As said use the sealing heat shrink butt splices and the biggest help i learned is quit with the ground on the trailer. I started running a ground or negative wire to every light all the way from the plug. I have zero issues now with trailer lights.

Sea Hunt 212 Triton
"Head East"
Dito the heat shrink on the connections. I also put mine last time above the water off the top of guide on's. Got the cheap lights with the car style bulbs. LED's go bad too - seen that. Won't feel so bad if I have to swap them. I have the trailer grounded but run the ground thru the plug too. Have not had an issue since. Use in fresh and salt water.

J Ford

With the exception of the amber marker lights on the side of the trailer, my lights (brakes, turn signal, etc.) are Pipelights, mounted on guides so they never get submerged. I have not had one issue with my trailer lights in nearly 10 years.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?Originally posted by DFreedom

this made me angry. mdaddy tole me you fish salt like 2x a year. if you don't mash the pipelights while loading a few times a year, you're doing it wrong or loading too slow.
Its true, my boat has not been wet with saltwater in a while but, I stand by the pipelights. Where you been, off with Bonzo and Ricky playing with trains?

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
Site started dying a slow death with the changeover to this interface
Yeah, not sure what is going on. Hoping the usual suspects will hang around and some new blood will join so it doesn't die completely. I've learned a lot from this site and made some great friends.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages