Menhaden Oil Mixed in

This year i am going to try and add some menhaden oil along with my fish meal and clay mix. Anyone have any experience, advise, or cautions? Please share mix ratios or other information you can share. Thank you Soggybottom AKA Ken

I tried it one year. Seemed to attract a lot of baitfish. Shrimped south end of bulls bay Friday night. Had one other boat for company. Ended up with half a cooler…
pitch dark out there.

My father-in-law and another old-timer I knew swore by it.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

I tried it in past and I think it worked better than plain clay and meal. I think I put about 6 ounces in a batch.

Where did you find the fish oil? I cant find it now.

Better to use menhaden milk , oil floats to the top,milk disperses into the water column. Seewees has milk last time I was there.

Amazon $32 and two days shipping. Thanks to all who provided input. I appreciate it and happy shrimping.

Finger mullet love it

Yep and dolphins love finger mullet . Dolphins we’re running my poles last Friday night at south end . Think that’s why I only ended up with half a cooler.

Yeah I caught one of those in my net years ago carry a pocket knife ever since while shrimping. Unlucky timing on his part and my part. I got lucky and the rope pulled off my arm

The best stuff i have have ever used was caned mackeral bough a case of it at an auction one time for .25 a can lasted two years mixed with my mud and meal

Many years ago I was camping at Buck Hall and one of the fellow campers told me about someone throwing on a Dolphin. I’ve put rattle traps with hooks removed on my poles with a zip tie. Seems to deter them in the beginning but they figure it out quick

I wonder if playing an MP3 of a pod of angry orca loudly through my boat speakers would deter flipper?? Just wondering.

Throw the spot light on em’, works for me

BRIAN WELLS

Pioneer 197SF

• SALTY TEST TACKLE

BRIAN WELLS

Pioneer 197SF

• SALTY TEST TACKLE

I did try Menhaden oil one year mixed in my bait balls. Made two casts caught and so many bait fish each cast that I dumped my net while still in the water each time. After that I pulled up my poles and still have the rest of the oil 5 years later. Not a fan.

OK here are the results…
Wednesday- full cooler in 6 passes about 2 hours…no bait fish no dolphins and shrimp were giant…south end of bulls bay…incoming tide

Thursday- 2/3 cooler same location but spent time showing my neighbor how to set poles and how to throw calusa style. He coolered just below us… same place and tides as Wednesday.

Good luck Soggybottom AKA Ken

Thanks for the report SoggyBottom! They seem to be few and far between the last couple of years. I’ll be down this Sunday through Thursday, so save me some!

2017 Stingray 186cc

Menhaden oil works very well, but wear gloves when mixing and throwing in your balls. That stuff does not wash off, it wears off.

When I used to bait cast for shrimp my partner and I would mix up a season’s worth at a time. We used a paint mixer on a big drill to mix clay, meal, and oil. Bought an old freezer and would put wax paper between the layers of bait balls. remember not to make them round but more like a pancake so they don’t move in the current as bad. One year we got really fancy after my friend bought a bushel of Big Manhaden from a crabber and ground them up… didn’t really notice any difference. When the shrimp are there they are there.

The canned mackerel thing sounds interesting… Just don’t think you’ll ever find it again and .25 cents. Bought some a few weeks ago to make some fried patties. Not so cheap anymore.

Not been back but reports from both north and south BB are favorable

One final thought and I will leave this alone. Wednesday and Thursday last week I had not seen the shrimp like they were in many years. We got out about 1.5 hours after low tide. The water was already muddy and the shrimp were jumping when I stuck poles. We baited and started catching shrimp in no time. We were out at the island, but reports just outside Anderson creek were favorable as well.

Happy Shrimping