Flood Tide Fishing

The past couple of weeks I have been focusing on fishing the flood tides with my kayak. A friend of mine introduced me to this type of fishing not to long ago. Once I actually saw the number and size of the redfish that can be up there in that skinny water I was hooked. Now that I know those bigger fish get up there like that I cant just ignore them. But I learned pretty quickly that even though you can see loads of fish tailing, actually getting them to bite can be quite infuriating.

Since I’m not an experienced fly fisherman yet I decided to go with conventional gear to reduce unnecessary complications. It took about six trips and probably 30 tailing fish before I was finally able to get one to eat. I tried everything I could think of. I threw DOA shrimp, live target shrimp, soft plastic crab lures, berkeley gulp. The only thing I have gotten bites on are small natural colored swimbaits on a small jig head, loaded down with procure. For now I think I will stick with this pattern until I get a few more fish under my belt before I switch over to the fly rod. This is some of the most exciting and frustrating fishing I have ever done and i’ll probably be up in the marsh every chance I get.

Check out the video for my latest trip here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q87KSJPeBM

It’s hunting when your on the marsh. Try slim swims in the deal and a 1/32 jig head. I’ll file down bigger jig heads to make them lighter or have a more erratic action. Sometimes you can find 40 inchers up there, I’ve never caught one over 30 in the marsh but have hooked huge fish.

Nice report and vid! Had luck yesterday with pinkish/white zman paddlerz… didn’t read the name. Dark colors seemed to spook em. I like 40’s advice and will grab some of those as well. This time of the year is almost too much fun:+1:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Great report!! Every trip we take, we learn something!!