Do you keep all your shrimp or sort them out by size?

Went shrimping off the dock last night and did pretty well. Initially I was sorting out the mediums and throwing back the smalls, but my friend said he wanted the small shrimp. Ended with almost half a cooler and had to call it quits earlier since we both had to work in the AM.

During the heading process I felt like peeling the small shrimp was going to be a whole lot of work for small payoff. What’s the minimum size shrimp you will keep?

For eating, greater than 5" for me. So medium-ish.

For fishing, around 2.5" or better. —My better half caught a 42.5" bull under a cork with a 3" shrimp, at the jetties.

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

The only sorting I’ll do is if there are some super large that i might want to butterfly, stuff and bacon wrap. Most that you get using legal 1/2 are workable. The smaller are more of a pain but in my case that is what the wife likes best. I have always liked the two biters, so much easier to fill a cooler and de-head.

I have been and hit a point where all we were catching was smalls. I usually move or go home.

I keep them all! Too much work to throw anything back. Generally, I dice them up anyway and make shrimp cakes, so size doesn’t matter. (That’s what she says, anyway. :sunglasses:)

2017 Stingray 186cc

I probably need to try one of these shrimp cakes, you know, just to make sure they are fit to eat and all…:sunglasses:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

I haven’t been to hunting Island in a few years, but there was a little stand in the last curve to the Island that sold Shrimp burgers. Amazing and not bad priced.

Anyone know if the little stand is still there? Be worth a weekend drive to have one.

You must be thinking of Shrimp Shack. Still there, I haven’t been in a while either.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x88fc15984b9615b1%3A0x3c8aa5f22b249257!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNmQW5JVQ_AJgg6xAzKcVdNyH8046NjQqbwyxf-%3Dw568-h320-k-no!5sshrimp%20shack%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNmQW5JVQ_AJgg6xAzKcVdNyH8046NjQqbwyxf-&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiw4t_oxIrsAhVtc98KHembCk0QoiowE3oECB4QBg

I used to love the Shrimp Shack’s shrimp burger! Haven’t had one in 15-20 years.

As for shrimp size, I’ve never claimed to be an expert shrimper so if they are unfortunate enough to end up in my boat then they stay! The smalls are a pain to clean, but I think smalls (not tinies) are best for creole, grits, etc. Always felt they were a little sweeter and better texture than the larges.

Porkchop Express II