Massive mullet

So as usual I went to a well known spot to get some mullet for the morning fishing. A good friend his young daughter and my 9 year old son were along so I really wanted to put them on some fish. Well we get to the bait spot and a young lady is there throwing her net and offers to give me any mullet she gets. I was messing with my net when she proceeds to present me with two of the biggest mullet ever. The were at least 20 inches and as big around as my calf. I filleted the big one and made tacos out of it.

Did you catch anything with the mullet you used for bait?

Yes reds hit live finger mullet for two hours until low tide then the bite shut off including a upper 20s fish. I didn’t measure it so I could get it back in the water as fast as possible. All on Carolina rigs with 1oz weights and 20lb floro leaders. I also put out an eight inch mullet on steel but it didn’t get touched.

Thanks for the report

Anyone willing to share places to cast net big mullet from the shore? I’ve tried pit street and I mostly catch finger mullet. Thought about trying to see if there’s any at Sullivan’s this year like last year. Thanks in advance.

Went to breach today and caught nothing significant

Plenty of mullet running at low tide on Sullivan’s near Ft. Moutlrie. Didn’t find the horse mullet I was looking for but filled a cooler of 5-6 in. mullet. Saw people catching reds/flounder/trout as well.