Long shot in the dark

I belong to the US Army historical Society. They publish a magazine titled “On Point” that describes various historical events in the life of the Army. I usually have several in my reading room and a few are stored for future reference.

During a resent remolding, the stored issues were inadvertently tossed out. The issue I was most concerned about described a union raid starting in Beaufort and proceeding up the Combahee river. This raid was described in great detail ( sand bar in Parrot creek no less ). I planned to retrace this mission stopping at the various locations described in the issue.

If there are any old soldiers on here who may happen to have a stack of these magazines laying around, please let me know. I have contacted the historical folks and that particular issue is NOT available.
Like I said at the start, this is a long shot request.

Thanks a bunch!

Wish I could help you! I bought a metal detector a few years ago and have only used it around the house to find a set of lost car keys. Lots of small battles fought all around the low country. I’ve talked with a few plantation managers and owners, they are mostly tight lipped on what they know and seldom let anyone do any exploring on their property. I’ve seen a lot of musket balls found in certain areas, seems most high hills coming off a swamp are good starts.

Lately, I’ve been more interested in the Indian battles fought pushing out the Yemassee Nation into Florida to join the Seminoles. The only Indian Tribe to never surrender. The amount of differing Indian Tribes in S.C. is amazing. A lot was recorded during the civil war, but little is left on the atrocities Colonists did while taking America.

Fred I have a book titled 'Forgotten Outpost". It is about militia outpost in Carolina and eastern Georgia during the early 1600’s to 1765. Goes into the Yamasee wars around Beaufort and up to Charles Town. A lot of the book is reprints of old English document that were written in the English of the day.

Forgotten Outpost by Harold Maness. Worth the read.

ZX

They are proud of that book! $82 on amazon.

Thanks for the reference

Fed, I sent you a PM.

ZX

Can’t help you either but, found a lot on interesting reading once on about the same area and subjects. Was looking a history of all the lighthouses that have exsisted in SC and got off topic after reading about the Old lighthouse at Combahee Banks (Light) Use to be an island. Had several links to battles in area around lowcountry. Interesting stuff - think I spent a couple hours reading up on the battles and forts and such.

J Ford

Good luck in your search and I think it’s an interesting topic. I know of a few hunt club members (Georgetown) that metal detect and find musket balls, uniform brass, etc. Apparently there was a man-made “ditch” from N. Santee River to Winyah Bay used to haul supplies by mules on the bank and they had multiple camps along the way. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.