October upper slots are here!

https://youtu.be/oOPEy4XVJa8

Last Friday we got into some upper slot redfish. We caught reds and flounder without a single trout.
Glenn was throwing a popping cork with live mud minnows with much success. I , naturally, was throwing a zman soft plastic “weedless” with a 1/4 oz bullet weight.

My friend Nick finally got on my boat. He was a magnet for the Ladyfish.

The water in Price Inlet and the creeks around Bull Island was nice and clear for the first time this fall.

As per usual the video is posted at the top for those interested.

Kerry Browning

Those wannabe Tarpon are still fun to catch, I know your friends had fun! Thanks for the report.

I was tied up all weekend and will be again this coming weekend… I smell a half day coming soon:sunglasses:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Hey Kerry, good to see ya’ll again Friday in the Narrows. I see you were on that flat on the incoming tide–question: what is the best direction to approach it? is it dry a dead low tide? We are planning to go back on Thursday and maybe Friday?
Would like to go back there a try it again on the incoming tide. Chris caught a nice 18 inch trout with a ZMan Diezel 4" green lantern on 1/4 oz. trout eye. Thanks for being so helpful we really appreciate your guidance you give. Thanks, Larry

01 Scout 177 w/ 150 hpdi

I’ll be out there Thursday at 10:00. Low tide is around 1:30. That flat is a better outgoing. Those fish at the end of the video came off that flat as the tide was about all the way in. The fishing was pretty slow because most of the redfish were in the grass.
That’s where we will start on Thursday.

To answer your question about approach, I see a lot of guides ( I’m assuming… three guys fishing with popping corks and one guy working) staying off the flat a good ways on the Price Inlet side of the point and throwing at the point. They are far enough off the point that the guys can’t throw to the grass. Now, after taking my brother and wife and their two kids fishing for two days last summer, I learned to hit the “spot on” that second day a good bit further from the oyster banks/grass because they were hung up a bunch the day before. So, that may be by design by the captain. I do see them catching trout there a good bit anyway. And, trout are typically not right on the banks. That flat is about the size of a normal golf green.

However, I fish that point just like I’d fish for smallmouth in Arkansas in the spring. I beat the banks with soft plastics and I throw right at the waterline and bounce the bait slowly off the oysters for that six foot drop. That’s where 99% of the reds will be. Then I swim the bait back to the boat and that’s where the trout will be suspended in 8 -12 foot of water. I’m setting