Castnet Repair

So the last shrimping trips i must have been putting in work. I have holes all in my net. I called myself sewing/stitching it up the night before on my last trip, just for it to really get tore up this time. Do you guys repair your nets any certain way…:question::question::question:

Sit down with it spread across your lap, trim off the torn edge bits with fingernail clippers and then just sew the hole shut by tying off at one end and criss-crossing to the other end and tying again. I just use a couple overhand knots but there is probably a better way. Biggest thing is keeping it snag-free

A drop of superglue on the knot helps

I like to use unwaxed dental floss for making net repairs.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha 250

Yeah i most of the time use abt 10lb or less line and sew up the best i can. Thanks for the ideas guys

This may help also.

https://skyaboveus.com/fishing/How-to-Easily-Repair-Cast-Net-Holes

Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha 250

Unfortunately I have recent experience on this topic. Ordered a new 10’ deep hole net this year from Tim Wade and found a 3’ Stingray on the first day! Two big 10" holes and a few smaller ones. There are a few cast net repair videos on Youtube, invest 20-30 minutes and check for yourself. Pay attention to the direction of the tear and whether there is net material missing. Vertical tears look like a cats eye (think of a set of sliding glass doors closing) and can be sewn or tied shut. I used 10# mono and some drops of superglue. I threw the repaired net yesterday and see no problems. Still wondering if I will get my moneys worth from my new net? Time will tell. Thankfully, the only horizontal tears for me were at the lead line and I was able to just reattach and close those smaller holes. No real experience with larger horizontal tears but seems like closing the hole on a larger horizontal tear could potentially shorten the net put a little more stress on your repair knots? Good luck with your net.