No Trout One Day, Limit the Next Day

Had a couple of SC buddies come fish with me on the Gulf Coast this past weekend. The first day, the wind blew limiting us to where we could go. We found plenty of bait with gulls and pelicans diving on it. Bait was flicking the surface for acres and acres. We caught some bull reds, but no trout. The next day, the wind died just a little and we headed out. We saw too many BIG sharks which had my buddies a little reluctant to get out of the boat and wade. SO, I moved out to some structure in about 12’ of water. It was all the trolling motor could do to hold us on the spot in that wind. We were all throwing plastic on 1/4 oz. jig heads. Then, we switched to 3/8 oz. Finally, I went to a 1/2 oz. jig head so I could cast into the wind and get my bait to the bottom. We caught about 26 trout there and then decided to go explore some more bottom structure that I had seen on a Navionics Satellite image of the bottom. We hadn’t been there a minute and before I had the i-pilot locked on the position, one of my buddies had a fish on and his rod was severely bowed. We caught enough to satisfy my curiosity about that spot. I KNOW it holds fish. On a calmer day, I’ll spend a little more time there. Hunting 'em and finding a new spot is about as much fun and catching 'em.