Reel quality

Looking for new 2500-3000 reel. Used in both salt and fresh. Usually, braided line.

Have Penn Battle 2 now. I have had a Shimano Stradic some time ago. Really nice reel, BUT that chrome came off the first year.

Penn has a new Battle 3. I know nothing about it.
What is the next up Penns? Really any better?
Same for Shimano-

Will be matched with St. Croix rod.

Maybe take a look at the Daiwa BG series. I’ve used the Emcast Plus for many years, although larger sizes than what you’re looking at, and the BG is supposed to be a much better option for the price. I’ve done very well with Daiwa spinning reels, so that’s where I would look.

Will check them out…

DRMajor

Have Daiwa BG & Shimano Stradic FL reels in 2500-3500 size range. Happy with both and would recommend either just depends on how much you want to spend. Stradic is nicer and I would buy again but whether it’s worth the extra $ over the BG comes down to personal taste. Have read good things about the Shimano Nasci which is in same price range as BG.

Best source for reel reviews I’ve found is Tackle Advisors on YouTube, he does in depth tear downs and lots of comparison videos. Also posts deals & steals on his community tab.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TackleAdvisors/featured

I have a Fin-Nor Lethal I really like though honestly I haven’t used it enough to see just how durable it is. I have a few Okumas that have seen considerable use and have held up well. Same for Shimanos. Penns have not held up as well cosmetically for me. I clean/wash my reels after every trip out so they are well taken care of. Now they are just dust covered.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Diawa Fuego is good and lighter then most and the diawa bg is good and pretty durable. I got some Penn battle and diawa bg combos at the same time similar size and use and the diawa rod and reel are better in both initial quality and after two years of use and owner ship.