Saturday's Trout

Caught some of these tight lining plastic and others on plastic under a cork. Water was about 5-6’ deep and bottom was mucky. Wading wasn’t possible, so I fished out to the boat. Tough conditions for tight lining. Some buddies of mine were fishing live shrimp under a popping cork. They really hammered 'em.

Why do you have to keep so many of the small ones? :wink:

Just kidding sir, but seriously, do you remember catching your first sailfish?

All the guys who are supposedly authorities on trout say the smaller ones taste much better. So, I set the smallest ones aside and ate them for dinner. I gave the rest to a friend. I can’t tell any difference between a small trout and a big trout. On bigger ones, I’ll filet them…then filet the filet so they all fry up good and crispy. When all are cut into pieces about the same length and thickness, I can’t tell any difference.

Harold Wilcox www.haroldshogwash.com

I like the smaller ones too.

So anyway, about that sailfish,you got a story or not?

Perscibed…

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

No sailfish story. I’ve never caught one…probably because I’ve never fished for one. :wink:

Hogwash I say.

I remember a day, likely 15 or so years ago that you took me fishing out of Edisto on the Purple Nurple (I think thats what you called that boat) and taught me about Jellies and how to trick Spadefish into the box. Great Day

Then about a week later you showed up with a younger friend of yours that was mating on a boat nearby. Anyway, he taught us about teasers and pitch baits and you landed a sailfish, said it was your first. I remember it vividly because it was the very first billfish caught on my new boat.

Hey, I was just funnin’ about the trout. Because I get to fish the salt so seldomly anymore I generally keep my fair share as well.

Glad to see you still getting after them. I hope your fishing skills remain sharper than your memory:+1:

EF

You are correct. I DO remember fishing with you out of Edisto. I remember the spade fishing trips in my boat, the Purple Hooter. I can’t believe you remembered that Purple name. Now, I remember the sailfish you mentioned. I caught TWO sailfish that day…my first and my last. Tindal Handegan was the young man who was mating on another boat during that time. He is still in the Charleston area and still fishing. I think he’s a captain now. I, also, remember your house at Edisto. I have a visual image of it and the street it was on. That was some 15-20 years ago. How often do you get down the Edisto now? It would be nice to cross paths again.

Got em’… That’ll wear ya out in a day! Last weekend we got em good like that too, even won a little 23rd annual trout tourney with a sub 20in trout:smiley:

Were these local, they look like the are…

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

I was waiting on a story about wadding for sailfish on Sargassum weed patches ( Phaeophyceae macroalgae for the guy that does dog parties barbawang) and WALKING ON WATER!!!

Oh ya, nice fush MR WILCOX.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

The ones from a week or so earlier were local. These were not, BUT they were all caught on the same pattern. Fishing around grass beds/islands of grass on a falling tide. In both cases we caught trout when the tide started falling and water was draining out of the grass beds. Live shrimp under a popping cork is a much more effective way to catch 'em.