TopWater Bite

Hi,

Been having good luck recently using top water lures. Question, does the topwater bite remain throughout the winter or will it taper off as the weather cools?

Thanks

I can’t answer that question for you. But, I will say that I’ve been having a lot of good strikes and actions on topwater in the early morning. Landed some nice trout! So, I hope it lasts a while!!

We’ve caught them down to around 52F water temps, but it will get very slow once you get to around 60F. Never say never though!

________________________ 1966 13' Boston Whaler "Flatty" 2018 Sportsman Masters 207 www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

It will certainly taper off, but it never totally stops. Or so I’ve been told… Remember the water temps you are having your luck in, that’s the biggest piece of the puzzle to me.

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Thanks everyone for the ■■■■■■■■. This is the first time I’ve ever really spent time focused on topwater. I will add water temp to my log, although the start of this experiment was boat in shop, fishing from a raised bank area. No really decent way to get water temp at the spots but if it was easy it would get boring :wink:

Key West 210 Bay Reef

I would add that as the water gets colder, start switching to suspending hard baits and work them very slowly. Couple short jerks, then a looong pause.

________________________ 1966 13' Boston Whaler "Flatty" 2018 Sportsman Masters 207 www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

This^

I fished yesterday and we caught them on both a top water and Mirrolure. The problem with the Mirrolure is that it takes a while to sink-like Dave alluded to. They make different hard plastics that descend at various rates and they aren’t marked. (That I know of)
When I tied one on my second rod for yesterdays trip, I didn’t know how fast it would sink. Turned out it was a very slow sinker. I’d twitch it and wait five seconds and then twitch it again.

The trout were suspended about four to six feet deep and it simply took too long to present itself.

Switched to an Eye Strike “Texas Eye” with a 3inch zman “Trout Trick” and, while keeping my line taught, simply let it fall into the strike zone. We caught a bunch of fish yesterday.