Trolling Motor Install

Got a Riptide Terrova and boat is prewired already. Is it worth it to pay someone around $300 to install it? Videos and process in general seems pretty simple. Also got a Minn Kota precision charger that I need to find a good spot to install. Relatively handy and enjoy doing boat projects. I guess my question is, has anyone had any problems installing trolling motor or chargers (during install or afterwards) that they wish they paid someone to do it? Thanks for any advice you can give!

i personally wouldn’t pay haha. Ive installed multiple trolling motors and its not to bad. I would at least put a little time in yourself and see how hard it would be. Youtube is your friend and its free! What kind of boat do you have?

F/V Tinny will live forever

It’s a 21’ Coastal Skiff. After watching youtube last night I started to lean towards doing it myself. Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything that might trip me up or regret down the road. I’ve spent enough money getting this boat set up this year so if I can save some I’m all for it!

Porkchop Express II

Charleston Marine (Chris V) is a factory rep for Minnkota and has installed more trolling motors than you can count. I would take advantage of his experience and expertise

I believe the whole point of pork chops post was he don’t necessarily want to spend 300 +dollars if he don’t have to.

I cut a small access hole.I did not want to use lags or toggle bolts on mine

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

I wish I lived in Charleston or just at the coast! I’m sure Chris does fine work. I think I’ll take the opportunity to learn a little more about my boat. Thanks for the recommendation tho!

Porkchop Express II

do yourself a favor and install a quick release.
make sure the bottom of the trolling motor is resting on a flat surface.
make sure you through bolt everything, stainless steel toggle bolts are acceptable if you cant use fender washers and lock nuts.
install a circuit breaker as close to the batteries as possible.
upgrade the OEM plug.
we see way to many motor failures as a result of the plug causing low amperage.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Yeah cutting a small access hole is worth it if you can then bolt the trolling motor to the deck with bolts. After hitting a few hard waves with lag bolts they will become loose. A regular nut and bolt is the way t go with a little lock-tight on the threads.

F/V Tinny will live forever

Thanks Chris. Yeah, I got the quick release puck. Going on front of skiff so should be a flat surface. I’m hoping I can get all the bolts in in the anchor locker area for easier access. If not I think I can flop around enough to get to them under the deck. I got the minn kota circuit breaker as I’ve read most of the others are cheap junk. Will definitely check out the plug.

For others mentioning cutting a hole, is this just bc it’s a awkward location to access?

Porkchop Express II

Got the trolling motor mounted and operating. Ran into one issue when the wiring diagram for the plug online was wired backwards… Still having a minor connection issue somewhere that we’ll get figured out. Overall, I’m glad we did it ourselves to learn more about the boat. Finished with all the major projects we had planned and now ready to get after it in 2021. First up is crappie fishing next month! Here’s a pic from a week ago when we were calibrating the heading sensor and the trolling motor. Thanks for all of yalls comments and knowledge!

Porkchop Express II
Porkchop Express II