Sonar/CHIRP Question

I have a Garmin Echomap 74 SV with the GT41 Transducer and I cannot get it dialed in to get the really clear sonar views advertised and shown in the manual. I started a service request w/ Garmin and went back and forth with them via email over the images. They finally threw up their hands and said “well that’s about what I would expect as far as image quality.”

I know that the GT41 is capable of the higher frequencies but apparently my model Echomap is not. At least I can’t figure out how to get it into that range. The highest of the two frequency settings is 260 KHz.

My question is - Are the higher frequencies required for high resolution images?

I’ve searched on the web for configuration etc. but haven’t found anything that helps me.

Any help w/ configuration would be greatly appreciated.

I can’t be too much help on Garmin products, but in general, yes, the more MHz the clearer your image.
My Simrad sidescan has 800 MHz and I can see fish with hard scales like gar pretty well, sometimes reds and almost never trout. I’ve been on friends boats with 1000 MHz one with Humminbird one with the high end Garmin and you could see individual redfish hanging on structure and under docks etc.

________________________ 1966 13' Boston Whaler "Flatty" 2018 Sportsman Masters 207 www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Thanks Optiker.

I also found this post explaining CHIRP on THT.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/506221-chirp-sounders-fish-finder-explained.html?506221=#post5628216

It’s a pretty technically detailed and long explanation. I could follow it but a lot more than I need to know.

I think my Garmin is a model before they started putting the CHIPR into them.