Trout report.

I went and fished a spot for trout in the kayak at low tide. When i turn the corner and see the spot there was a school of dolphins working it. I pulled up to the bank across from the spot and setup. This spot is pretty far back up in the creek so it takes a while for the tide to pick up. I ran out of light before the tide really got going. Trout prefer bite best in moving water in my experience so i kind of picked at them when the bite was tough between dolphins and tide. I caught 5 dinks and missed about 10 hits. You have to strike fast with a popping cork to catch trout, none of that rod holder special. I missed every bite i wasn’t prepared for. Coming in the creek just before 5 and i saw a few mini schools of bait swimming. When leaving the bait was very active and there were tons of 1 inch bait on the surface. The small mud minnows worked the best, go figure. Besides the bait on the surface there was tiny minnows on the bottom and my bottom rod got crabbed 3 times water was close to 60.

If you want action id fish small baits. Mirrordine mini, ned rigs, slim swims. Most minnow imitations under 3 inches should be good. If you got patience fish a mirrordine super slow for a trophy.

Great report, thanks. I’m tempted to get back into the hard plastic swim baits again. But you are right, you need to be veeeery patient.

Have you tried live shrimp under that popping cork? They’ll bite a live shrimp when they won’t bite anything else.
Good luck.

Harold Wilcox www.haroldshogwash.com

Na i cant catch them easily this time of year.

Live croakers work very well, also…especially for BIG trout. I have buddies who have special oxygen tanks in their boats to keep their croakers VERY alive and FRISKY. They drag their own trawls to catch croakers, and they catch a lot of big trout.

Harold Wilcox www.haroldshogwash.com