Been Fishin' ?

So, it seems, not many folks fishing these days. Myself included. But was able to take advantage of a partial work day and Dr. appointment. on Thursday 2/25.

February is NOT the best month to Surf fish, unless you need some Ray for Shark bait. The Atlantic Rays are spawning now and are fun to catch. They don’t get very big like the Southerns so reeling on them is good practice. Fished about 3 hours probably caught 20 or so with multiple doubles. The weather was very nice. Felt good to get out.

Thanks for the report. At least you were able to get out for a while.

Good morning David, I’m glad to see you got out. I haven’t been out since last fall. The good news is we have been busy with the down time painting the house, gutting my wifes office and currently converting the back yard into an outdoor entertainment hub just in time for the skeeters and 100 degree heat. The stimulus checks have come in handy and will be put to good use. I hope your enjoying time with your grand son and will make many wonderful memories with him. I imagine he can already sling bait with the best of them, take care buddy:+1: Tell Lori I said hello and give her a hug for me.

The black drum should be around soon along with the reds and trout. Those little rays are only good if you use them the day of. Those are the dangerous rays all tail and stinger. I got stung by one once it HURTS. Hot water is the trick.

Didn’t Pete slay the reds in February one year?

We are doing well Pete. Between work and going to see the grand baby hasn’t been a lot of fishing. But I’m thinking the rest of the year I’m gonna fish a lot more.

The fish will come back soon. Unfortunately the brilliant folks running IOP though it was a good idea to move the sandbar at Dewees Inlet…totally ruining my Black Drum holes. Haven’t seen Black Drum runs in 2 seasons. I sure am glad the Pilgrims have a lot of beach to sit on, as far as fishing goes not what is was 4-5 years ago.

My biggest Red both length and weight was in mid March 2013.

I love that pic:smiley: We need to get this forum rolling again. I think the folks at IOP need to keep in mind that the beaches are public and meant to be enjoyed by all, not just a few. Covid can’t be the reasoning, they started tightening up long before that. Allot of the rules put into place out there seem to be geared toward thinning the herd. It just doesn’t seem right. I get that not everyone treats the beach with respect, they should be targeted directly, and people that do abide by the rules should be allowed to enjoy. Take care buddy.

The big girls run in spring, just not as common in the fall. I want to get a big one this spring. A buddy message me the other day about big reds.

I’m with you Corey, I would like another 49"+. In a couple weeks I’ll start throwing Finger Mullet chunks, catch one of those Big Girls cruisin’ the cuts.

thanks for the post DP

still soothes me to be out there even if it’s catchin rays

It seems i only get a real giant red like that every 3 to 5 years. September 8 2016 was my last red over 47. September is also under rated for big reds.

Went out today and caught one 26in off a well known dock near folly. Hit fresh shrimp