Want a kayak

Hey guys. The more I read about and think about the yak fishin the more I want to get into it. I don;t have a lot of excess cash but whaty is a good starting yak? Length, sit in or sit on, etc. Thanks!

Most folks fish from sit on top kayaks, simply to have more cargo capacity and easier access to gear. Read up on kayakfishingstuff.com’s forum to get ideas about what other people are using. I would recommend getting a 12-14’ kayak to start with. Wilderness Systems, Perception, and Ocean Kayak are probably the top three fishing kayak manufacturers.

Put up an ISO in the classifieds with your price range, someone probably has exactly what your looking for. Good luck finding a boat! Keep us posted.

PB

Try to find a dealer that has some demos and will let you paddle a few different models to see what you like, the longer boats will give you more storage, speed and track better once you get your stoke down, unfortunately they will be a little more difficult to maneuver. The smaller boats will do much better in heavy curret, wading and in tight close technical conditions. I would think that a sit on top in the 12 to 14 foot range would be a good all around boat for inshore fishing in your neck of the woods. Check with some of your area dealers to see if they plan to doing a spring show near a small lake, pound, river or stream where you can actually play with the boats before you make your decision to buy one. As long as you are comfortable in the boat and it will carry whatever you want to take, you’ll be good to go. Lastly, once you know what your looking for you can find a good used boat much cheaper that you can pick up a new one jsut make sure that it’s been stored out of the sun if so the composit models are practically indestructible.

Many thanks! I appreciate the info. I’ll keep you posted and will probably be hitting you guys up for moe advice once I get my yak. Thanks again!

I have a kayak in the classified you might be interested in.

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/classDetail.asp?id=2868

Get one of These:

(From me!!! $775 with a scotty rod holder at Time Out Sport and Ski)

Check out www.nativewatercraft.net or www.timeoutsports.net for more info

DD

Is it realistic that this old dude is standing up in a 12 foot kayak, flycasting, wearing a rolex and no pfd? Looks pretty sketchy to me. How the hell is that geezer gonna climb in the boat when he spills.

I need more proof than that, maybe a pic of you standing up in one DD!! Anyone who has tried to stand up in a kayak knows its not so easy! Guessing he’s beached up on a flat.

But i’m just giving ****, that boat does look nifty. Buy gear from dave’s shop!! :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by palmettobum

Is it realistic that this old dude is standing up in a 12 foot kayak, flycasting, wearing a rolex and no pfd? Looks pretty sketchy to me. How the hell is that geezer gonna climb in the boat when he spills.

I need more proof than that, maybe a pic of you standing up in one DD!! Anyone who has tried to stand up in a kayak knows its not so easy! Guessing he’s beached up on a flat.

But i’m just giving ****, that boat does look nifty. Buy gear from dave’s shop!! :smiley:

It is no joke, that old geezer is one of the designers of the boat. I can HEAVE an 8ft cast net out of this boat standing up and drifting with the current.

DD

The Redfish’s only natural predator is the DOLPHIN D

That’s a pretty sharp boat.How do you think it would do in rough or choppy conditions? Is there some type of spay skirt?I assume you must have a bilge pump to get the water out.Correct?

The more you fish,the better you lie.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

quote:
Originally posted by murrayfisherman

That’s a pretty sharp boat.How do you think it would do in rough or choppy conditions? Is there some type of spay skirt?I assume you must have a bilge pump to get the water out.Correct?

The more you fish,the better you lie.

14.5 'yak 175 lb motor

I do carry a bilge with me. Native does have a sprayskirt set up available for the boat. Black right now, and I think some camo patterns are on the way.

DD

It’s true!! I saw this same ad over six months ago. Talked with Time Out in Mt. Pleasant and got to demo the kayak. It is a great kayak for fishing. I spent more time standing than sitting. When I did sit, it was like a lounge chair. I bought an Ultimate 14.5 from them and have used it duck hunting, fishing, and just viewing the creeks.

How does it do in the wind?

quote:
Originally posted by jmb

How does it do in the wind?

Better than you would think. Still not a boat for heavy winds, but low enough profile that moderate winds are ok. I think it handles better than a sit on top in wind.

DD

Been eyeing those myself. More of a canoe than a kayak though, right?
Appears you lose the benefits of a sit on top?

Krooz

True but I bet you can’t stand on your sit on top…I can’t on mine. While we are on the subject of canoes one of the best set ups I’ve ever fished out of fresh water or salt was one of the old squar back Coleman Scanoes. I beleive that Old Town makes a squar back model that’s called a Discovery Sport. You can paddle or pole them as well as throw a trolling motor on the back and go just about anywhere you want. The only problem that I ever had with this particular set up was in big water, big waves and big surf it would take on water where as the yaks are much more user friedly unfortunately the yak won’t hold nearly as much gear.

Yeah, that’s where the decision process starts to get tricky. What features are worth sacrificing. The Ultimate 14.5 is stable can hold 2 if desired, looks comfortable. But has to hold water, doubt you can sit with your legs hanging over etc. Not to hijack nikonjedi’s post but I’ve got 3 on the short list… Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14, WS T140 or the Ultimate 14.5 in a distant 3rd.

Krooz

I ride a malibu X-factor, 14.5’… it tracks nice… i can stand up and throw a cast net out of it, as well as fly-fish… it carry’s 600lbs , has the largest front hatch on the market, and doesnt take on water in any conditions that ive ran across…

Just another one to confuse you guys out there… but in my opinion it is one of, if not the best fishing kayak on the market… but thats just my two cents.

Mad Mike

Not to worry kroos… it’s all good info for me!! :smiley: I really appreciate the info. Unfourtanely my daughet destryoed her ankle and is in MUSC Childrens hospital getting it re-built, she will probably be there for a long time. I am squirreling the info away for the future. As for now my Yak will have to wait. Ya’ll keep posting and passing on the info! Thanks

Sorry to hear about your daughter’s ankle. I hope it heals well - and quickly.

I plan to make purchase in the next month or so (been kicking it around on and off for almost a year). Love the research but it gets mind boggling at times…

Krooz

It’s all good guys I don’t know that they make a bad boat for under a grand… just get one and get it on the water…it’s a blast!!!