Painting rods?

Is it possible to paint rods? If so whats the process? Just thought I’d spice up my rod with a little customization on my day off.

Let me preface this with I do not know fo sho the process…but…I do work with a lot of different mediums, paints, stains, varnishes, laquers etc. I would think that if you painted a rod you’d have to “glass over it” after the paint dried. Id imagine they all would scrape off with the slightest touch. Like I said, I don’t know fo sho…never specificaly tried it.

Everyone is destined for greatness…getting there is up to you.

the guy at haddrells mt P upstairs does pretty work on this kind of thing. call him up. he’s a good guy, he’ll help you figure it out. you oughta see some of the stuff he’s done.

When I build rods or re-do rods I wet sand the blank and use a good primer…re-sand and then use high density solids spray paint…finish with high gloss poly urethane…the only trick is to do the whole blank…if you still have guides on, this will leave gaps in the paint/finish and it will not take long for the finish to start cracking…

Mike Crouch
Sea Tow Charleston
843-881-8949
Sea School Charleston
843-747-1000
www.seatow.com
www.seaschool.com

St Croix uses high end car paint at the factory. There’s a really cool paint brush / squeegee jig they use, then into the oven to cure.

Who’s ready for a sleigh ride?
www.kayakfishsc.com

Why would you want to paint a rod?

blanks can be awlgripped.

quote:
Originally posted by Palmetto Bug

Why would you want to paint a rod?

just curious if it could be done, i like painting/ customizing all of my things… surfboards, notebooks. Anything I can paint and it still look good.

But from the loos of it you’d have to start with a blank. I might look into getting one and build it on my own. Something to do one weekend with my pops

The wetter, the better
-Stinger 144 SC
-Yamaha 50

I have built several trolling rods and re-done them over time. You can strip off the guides/over and under wrap and lightly sand the blank. I use appliance epoxy since I usually do white blanks and then wrap with colored threads. This holds up great for years and is relatively cheap.