9/15 offshore near R8 tower

The forecast was for 1-2 ft seas, the NOAA SST map showed the stream edge was in close and well defined so off we went. Made it to our starting point 60 miles from the dock, 31.75N 80.00W within a few miles of R8 tower, in 2 hours in flat seas. Lines went in at 5:45 in the dark - that was a first! We found a well defined weedline + rip than ran for miles right where NOAA SST map showed the edge of the stream. Ended the day with 3 small dolphin and 1 false albacore. We hooked up on the planer and line started screaming out and I overdid it on the drag and snapped the line - guessing a wahoo. We probably had 3 cut offs for every solid hookup. Next trip I might use either a chain rig or the better bait systems rig to get the hook farther back. Anyone have success with either rig and if so how are you attaching a skirt with them? The jelly balls were thick (probably 1 per square foot!) on the cold side of the stream and not present on the warm side. I have never seen anything like it. We had one surprise hook up. Some dolphins (mammal kind, could be porpoises, I don’t know the difference) were following us for about 10-15 minutes. I figured they could not be good for fishing so we decided to pull in the lines, ditch the dolphins and troll somewhere that was dolphin (again, the mammal kind, not the fish. why can’t we just call them mahi?) free. While we were reeling in the last line we hooked a nice dolphin fish - nice surprise! Ride back was a quick 2 hours in flat seas.

“Mary Catherine”
Grady White 330 Express
Beaufort

dolphins are a good sign that other fish are around. Many fish work with dolphins. watch blue planet where the dolphins and tunas are working together

strip…strip…FISH ON!

chain rig- that’s old school

chain rig- that’s old school