Cheap reels

Yes, I know you get what you pay for mostly but I’m still looking for under $30 reels for inshore fishing. They may not last all that long but I’ll get at least a couple of years out of them as I only get out there occasionally.
The reels I’ve looked at are:

Daiwa Crossfire
Daiwa Sweepfire
Okuma Safina Pro
Shimano AX Spin

They can all be had for $20 to $30 either locally or online. I’d probably be looking at a smaller (2500?) size and maybe a medium (4000?) size. Different manufacturers seem to size things differently.
For some reason I’m leaning towards the Crossfire but I can’t remember what I read about them that has me thinking that way.
Anyone with experience with any of these?

Haven’t thought out rods yet but I don’t rule out buying a combo.

Buy what you can afford.Wash them off after use and they will last a long time.Haddrells has several throw away rigs for under $50.I have several that the rooks on my boat use and they work just fine.

Stonoman

Stonoman is wise and worldly. I still runn a surf rig I bought is 1981 when the boat is full of family. CHEAP Walmart spinning reel. Wash it after every use. Used all over the local salt water creeks and rivers, and at the beach. I have never disassembled it, but washed it with fresh water religiously after every use.

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115

Pungo 120

x3…agree with Stono and Jim. Rods can make a difference though!

19’ Tidewater Bay Classic
150HP Johnson

1542 Duracraft
40HP Johnson

Okuma’s are tough to beat for the price!!

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

Get the Diawa 888 or 808,they are darn good reels.My wife has used the one she has for over 8 years,I just wash it after use.

Double D.

I have a couple of Okuma Avengers and have been pleasantly pleased, especially when you consider the price.

I ended up working today but looked up reels again when I came home. I found some of the Daiwa Regal Xia reels for $30. As far as I can tell that’s a step up in quality from what I’ve been comparing. Now I just have to figure the size. Right now I have a Shimano Syncopate 2000 that I use for a light action rig but my larger reel is a clunky monster Shakespeare (weighs in at 22oz). It’s dying and I don’t mind.

I fish inshore, mainly from a kayak but I do tie into 10lb+ reds sometimes. Daiwa gives the max drag factor on the Xia reels as either 8.8lbs or 13.2lbs depending on size. What do you guys set your drags at? Unfortunately the site with the $30 deal doesn’t have the smaller 13.2 max drag reel so I’d have to get the larger version.

Double D, the only info I find on Daiwa 808 is for a fly reel.
DFreedom, the Okuma reels look pretty good.

Thanks for the replies!

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I have a couple of Okuma Avengers and have been pleasantly pleased, especially when you consider the price.

I have two of the 50 size of this reel, tough as can be. I can’t seem to wear them out.

Mark
Mako 262 Twin Yammaha F200s
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Maybe they quit making the 808,the last time i saw one was in kmart.I have a buddy that has the okuma and he really likes it.

Double D.

I do fishing charters Kayak + off my 22ft pontoon boat.

I use Shimano Clarus rods 61/2FT or 7ft and X4000 Shimano reels 10 or 20LBL braded line

This combo works well and is very easy on the $$$

Capt Dave

i bought a few of the cheapo ($20) shimano reels from wally world… like 8 years ago… i still have and use them both. i figured they would not last long, but i was wrong and could not justify throwing them out when i upgraded my reels… so i just bought some shimano convergence rods for them and love em.

they do show some corrosion if you don’t take care of them and you must rinse them after every use.

The Store et the VA hospital has “pocket fisherman” by Ronco fo 19 dollars. I seriously considered getting one just to sight cast for dolphin off shore. A peanut dolphin would be a challenge to bring to the boat with one of those.

As far as reels go, if looking at cheap reels I think you’d be better off buying some older Penns at money man or some other pawn shop than wasting money on new cheap stuff. You can find Penn skirted spinning reels and Senators all day long for your price range and they’ll last forever. My two cents worth.

Actually I had swung by 2 moneyman shops before I posted. I didn’t find anything there but junk. One of them had a Shimano Symetre for $20 but it had a fair amount of corrosion on it.

The Ronco Pocket Fisherman looks great! How many bearings do those reels have? :smiley:

In case anyone is still following this thread, I ended up buying a couple of Daiwa Regal xia reels from tacklewarehouse.com. I know it’s not local but I couldn’t find anything that I liked even close price/quality wise. $51 for two reels to my door. I figure they’re as good or better than the Okuma Avengers and they were actually cheaper.

Thanks for all the help. I’ll need to figure what line to put on each when they arrive.

Buy local unless you save $20 or more.What is $20 bucks when you get to yak with Dee and the guys at Haddrells.Anglers has great stuff and the guys are also good to talk with.They may have taken 10% off or gave you the same deal.

Stonoman

I agree with Stono…these local businesses hire local people…keep the money in our economy!!..worth it to spend a little more to support these guys and like stono said…they may have matched the price!!

livin life one day at a time!!!
2006 Seafox172
05 Mercury90hp(saltwater)

Well maybe I should have bought at Haddrells or Chas anglers but they would have had to special order these reels and probably cut the price more than half to match what I found online. Other than these reels I haven’t bought much tackle yet, just getting by on the old stuff I had around. I have bought some hooks, jigs, gulps and the like and I did buy those at H and CA but I haven’t been there pumping them for free advice or anything.

It’s a tough call. We all want to get the most for our $$ and yet the argument could be made that we shouldn’t be buying foreign made reels at all not to mention boat motors and the like.
Stono I saved about $30 from even the next cheapest price I could find online and probably $50-$60 over retail. Don’t know if that justifies the decision or not…

Local…you don’t have to “justify” yourself…you can shop where you want…I just think that shoping with our local tackle shops is the best way to go to support our economy and job market…just my 2 cents…Also, when shopping there, they will help you with the proper tackle and so forth!!!..Local guys…Local knowledge!!!..the guys @ Charleston Anger in Summerville and Handrells in South Windemere (where I frequent the most) are always helpful!!!

livin life one day at a time!!!
2006 Seafox172
05 Mercury90hp(saltwater)