Coming to Charleston Next Week - Help

Hello everyone,
My first post in the forum. I am a fisherman from the northeast who travels for business. I bring my travel rod with me everywhere and will be in Charleston on Tuesday afternoon/Evening.

Before posting this, I took the time to read through the reports and discussions and it actually left me with more questions than answers.

Need a little help identifying some basic places where I can throw the line in the water and actually catch something. Not asking you to spot burn your secret places. Also, what species should I be targeting next week and do I bother getting shrimp or use artificials?

If there is anything that you would prefer to share with me one on one and not out in the open, my e-mail address is in my profile.

** If any of you plan to fish later in the day on Tues and are willing to take me with you, I will buy the bait.

Thank you all so much in advance.

Welcome to the forum. If you are only in for one day then I would suggest fishing at the Mount Pleasant Pier. If you fish anywhere other than one of the piers or hiring a guide then you will have to purchase a “non-resident” saltwater license.
Get some shrimp or live Fiddler Crabs and go to the pier.

BadBob

Polar 1910 BB 150 Johnson 2S

If you ain’t the lead dog then the scenery never changes

Thanks Bob… yeah unfortunately I do not have a lot of time on this trip. Maybe squeeze out an hour or so early Wed morning too. How is the Pitt Street Bridge?

FishFinder

quote:
Originally posted by EricJ

Thanks Bob… yeah unfortunately I do not have a lot of time on this trip. Maybe squeeze out an hour or so early Wed morning too. How is the Pitt Street Bridge?

FishFinder

Its a beautiful place, but not very productive

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Mt Pleasant pier ,fids around pier structure , or shrimp on bottom !!!
BTW , welcome to CF…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

George, thanks… will most likely go with the shrimp. If I was at home I would mess with the crabs. Are you guys fishing whole shrimp or pieces of it on a hook? Asking because everywhere I fish it is different. In Florida we rig the whole thing. Up north either whole or a little piece on a small hook.

FishFinder

Mt. Pleasant Pier is a good go to for fishing on foot. As stated, fiddler crabs around the dock structure for Sheepshead, and shrimp, rigged on a Carolina rig on the bottom. Make sure to use enough weight, pending on the tides to effectively fish. Tight lines and good luck!

Thanks and wow look at that drop off out in front of that pier. Most likely out of casting distance.

FishFinder

If you cast far off the end of the pier you will get hung up on old bridge materials. That pier is best for sheep head fishing.

any chance for reds or trout around that pier?

FishFinder

Check out some of Jiggin Jerry’s video’s on fishing the Mt Pleasant Pier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_esXFDPDDI

Thanks for leaving that for me. I already watched a few of Jerry’s videos and sent him a note. Here is my youtube channel in case anyone is interested. I do both salt and fresh water as well as Kayak DIY videos. Fish Finder >> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQFaYfoSifgHclRfM5Qxz5g?sub_confirmation=1

FishFinder

Ericj; I only fish from boat but I see a lot of folks fishing the demetri park pier which is directly across harbor on james island…I know they catch reds , trout , and flounder there…Be sure and post results of trip with pics…Good luck !!! Don’t forget , trout are being discouraged from being a target due to freeze kill off…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

George, thank you. I would absolutely report back and hopefully would also have a video upload for you guys.

FishFinder

quote:
demetri park

oh boy

Dpark

Is that your kayak or did it just wash up there? LOL

FishFinder

It only gets washed by the surf when shark fishing. Fishing at the park is good from like may to December not much there right now but there are good spots within about a mile of it.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod
quote:
demetri park

oh boy

I was eagerly awaiting someone to jump on this. Thank you, Mr. Pod.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

Good luck, welcome to the best part of this world!