New Old Truck Project

Any of you guys remember driving around in one of these? This is my new project and I hope to document the progress here or lose all interest in 6 months and forget about it totally. This was a Christmas gift from my father-in-law. Its a 1972 GMC 1500 stepside pickup. 2wd, straight six, manual 3 on the tree, no A/C, no radio and has been sitting all alone for the last 35 years or so. Never wrecked, but has some major rust issues due to being stored outside on dirt under some oak trees. Everything is original minus the steering wheel. The original was broken somehow and a junkyard blue steering wheel was installed.

I've never tackled anything like this before. I'm certainly someone handy and can figure most things out, but I haven't restored a car/truck before.....at least not to this level. There's lots of elbow grease in my near future I'm sure and I plan to keep the truck as original as I can within reason. My agenda is to make it safe and functional first, then maybe make it pretty down the road. So far, I plan to:

Replace tires
Salvage original rims/dogdishes if possible
Gut interior saving whatever I can
Replace Front Grill/headlights
Replace hood
Replace/repair Driver's door
Replace/repair Passenger's door
New coils/shocks/suspension components
New brakes (drum rear/disc front)
New fuel tank/fuel lines
Carbeurator rebuild
I'm sure this will need motor work of some kind
New interior dash (cracked and rotten)
Refurbish if possible door panels
Driver's side window mechanism work
Passenger side door lock install
Possible aftermarket A/C--it is Charleston afterall!

These are the things I know about so far. I'm sure this list will grow dramatically. I've already purchased some tires to get this thing mobile. Step 1 of 1,986 complete! I will gladly take advice or work volunteers. bigsmile

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Replies

But how many Tarpon have you jumped this season?
Originally posted by PeaPod

But how many Tarpon have you jumped this season?

Twice as many as I have in the rest of my life..

Shoot me a PM with your as is price. I will handle the $2k to ship it to the VI

Don’t forget the deal I gave you on that bean bag
Last edited by Rapchizzle
Ruthless....

Time for an update
Just curious. Are there any shops around Charleston that specialize in this type of repair and restoration?
Any update on the tiny train village?