Shad 2020

Wonder if the warmer weather we are having will get the run started earlier this year?? I know last year we got on them in late January into mid April.

21 Contender
Replies

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages
The tailrace is better when we are in drought years from what I was told. When we have good rain fall the Santee's flow is stronger and makes for better shad fishing. It should be a good year for a early season because we had temps drop early this winter.
It’s hard to say LE, I wish tailrace would return to its former heyday,then the shad fleet would be a little more spread out.Do you remember when they were repairing the locks during shad season?Man did we catch them that year! I remember catching plenty of shad in the canal between the lakes back in those days also.Can’t help but think it’s because of lack of flow into the Cooper .Seems like the fishing for other species of freshwater fish has suffered in the east branch also.
It’s hard to say LE, I wish tailrace would return to its former heyday,then the shad fleet would be a little more spread out.Do you remember when they were repairing the locks during shad season? in those days also.Can’t help but think it’s because of lack of flow into the Cooper .Seems like the fishing for other species of freshwater fish has suffered in the east branch also.Originally posted by sman

" Man did we catch them that year! "

Yep. The Wife and I had three kids with us one day ( my son and two of his friends ) and they caught over 400 Shad that day. Fish on every cast. bigsmile

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages