Edisto Beach

Great news Edisto Beach State Park is opening up May 1st for camping. We have reservations for three nights in the middle of May. I smell deep fried whiting for diner.

My question is: I heard that the mayor of Edisto has not yet opened up the beach. Does anybody know anything about it?

I heard may 9th Edisto opens to already reserved rentals and on the 15th they open to all short term rentals but otherwise not open to non residents. I do know that I’ve heard from more then one person around sixty years of age or so on edisto that the mayor listens to here friends. One was the guy who told me he would get a ban on fishing and not long later they had the daytime ban in place. Apparently each place can decide on their own when they want to open. I heard Edisto wanted to open but because of the pact that folly, Sullivan’s, and IOP made they don’t want to be the only beach open and get swarmed. The beach has about 700 resident year round and about 10000 to 15000 people a day during season. It would of likely been that many or more if it opened before others during this time. I hope the park opens because I’ll go there I like the park.

Yes, I heard the same. Mid May might start opening beaches in daylight hrs. But, subject to change day to day.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

https://www.live5news.com/2020/04/22/edisto-beach-start-phased-rentals-during-may/

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

the question is, who controls the beach in front of the state park? Is that state land or does it belong to the city? With all state parks opening up on May 1st to RV camping.
There is no one answering the phone at the park ranger station. Their message is that they will open on the first of May. The reservation office number is closed for the weekend.

I was looking into a week or so ago and It seemed like even if the beach park was open you wouldn’t be able to access it but I’d assume that changes with the limited access and activities to be allowed.

for the money I am paying to park my RV there. If I can not access the beach I will be asking for a refund.
They charge extra money because this park is on the beach. For half the price I can go to a lot of other state parks in the state.

We will be going down next week. If I understand correctly the park will be open to people with previous reservations, but no day / short term visitors will be allowed. I intend to use the beach when we get down. Good luck to all and stay safe.

I finally got someone to answer the phone at the park office. The 1.5 miles of state beach will be open. We have reservations for May 19 -22. I plan on sitting on the beach watching some rods for most of that time.

Our senator Sean Bennett says its unlawful for a city, town or community to block or deny public access to public beaches once they’ve been declared open, which the have.

_______________ Key West 186 DC