console cut out tool

Just purchased a new (to me) boat. Planning to purchase and install some flush mount storage/tackle boxes on the console. Wondering if anyone can provide advice on a proper tool to use to do the cutouts?

Hoping to do the cutouts as cleanly/precisely as possible (obviously), but hoping doing so doesn’t mean having to spend a bunch on a new specialized tool that I won’t get much use from otherwise. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If your doing rectangles you can drill holes in the corners & cut out with a jigsaw.
Make sure curners keep the round from the drill bit & NO straight corner cuts. This prevents cracking & splitting at the corners.
Tape off the area so the jigsaw deck does not scratch the painted finish.

If you need to cut circles I would try to buy, rent, or borrow a hole saw bit.

Measure measure measure & triple check clearances before cutting.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

No matter how you cut it you’re going to get a lot of airborne particles protect yourself. I use a wet vac while cutting. It helps.
No expert… But here is how I do it…
A jigsaw will work use a fine blade. Dremel works good for cleaning up and small stuff. Don’t do it with the fiberglass real cold. Hair dryer if needed. As areeldrag said tape is a good idea.
The flange on most of that stuff is kind of deceiving cut your hole pretty close. The screws are closer to the edge than you may think. And pre-drill for your screws.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

Since you doing it youself…buy good tools and you’ll do a better job.

Variable speed jigsaw with plenty of blades. Grinder with a cutting wheel much faster but harder to control. I suggest eye protection. Breaking blades/discs always seem to go toward your eyes.

Jig sawing go slow with light pressure and let the saw work. Kinda like cutting tile. If it isn’t right when done…only one person to blame. While you doing it…think how much time you would of spent paying to have it done…Zen.

Since you doing a console…you know what’s below the cut…

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Dremel rotary tool with the spiral cut bit and attachment makes cutting holes easy. Make a jig and it can look very professional. Think tiny router which would also work but is a bit bulkier.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

I appreciate the advice, everyone. I have a jigsaw and plenty of drill bits. Going to get some proper jig blades and take my time with it. Thanks again!

I usually put a couple of layers of painters tape down so I don’t scratch the surrounding surface.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?